Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Back to school really has nothing to do with school

I've always loved fall. Back to School is my favorite time of year and my favorite fashion season. Now, I haven't been back to school of several years (decades) but that doesn't change my desire for all new back to school clothes or at the very least a retooling of my current wardrobe. Fall signals a great chance to reinvent yourself. You can leave behind "summer you" and take on a whole new persona. Boots, tights, blazers, cardigans, tweed, trousers, and my favorite look of all time: layers and a scarf. There is nothing better.

Another great thing about fall is the ability to make up for any style regrets that you had over the summer. I really wanted to make dresses a huge part of my wardrobe. That didn't really happen. However, I can carry this goal over into fall. Add some leggings/tights and boots and I can kiss regret goodbye. It is really a wasted emotion anyway. Plus there is always next summer to revisit the summer frock idea.

I never think of Fall as an end but rather a beginning. Perhaps it is the new school year that is so ingrained. I believe there is a definite connection between "following your bliss" (thank you Joseph Campbell) and style. How you adorn your outside is a reflection of how much you love your inside. I cannot emphasize this enough. No one dictates the specifics except you. The result is individual and does not require specific labels or an enormous expenditure. You simply have to find what speaks to you. Having a vision for yourself is important. If you visualize success, serenity and abundance for your life, you are going to have to have an outfit to match.

The hardest part about this time of year is that the actual weather doesn't match the clothes. September signals an automatic shift in fashion consciousness and yet blazing hot, 100 degree weather makes it impractical to actually wear your favorite back to school looks.

It is the in betweens that make for the hardest style choices. As always, I welcome a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment