Saturday, September 26, 2009

If you had any doubt, I've always been this way

(you can click on the image and enlarge my humiliation for easier viewing)

This is an actual page of my "food diary" from Jr. High. Typical of me I only have this one page but this one page really speaks volumes.

I distinctly remember my inner monologue going something like this:
"It is so unfair. Why aren't I skinny like Denise Goodwin? I try so hard. I'd do anything to not be so fat."

Really?

Looking at the above food journal, I would have to agree, the reason I was overweight is still a complete mystery.

If anyone is wondering what a crispito is, it is a fried meat and cheese Mexican type food. Please note, I only ate 1/2. I was really watching it.

And if you think you can't read the last line, it does, in fact, say 1/2 mayonnaise sandwich (again, cutting back) and 4 oreo cookies (not the whole bag? Good work).

My continual weight gain was still a mystery in college.
"What is going on? I eat salad every day and I cannot lose a pound. I am so frustrated by how unfair this is!"

Ummmm that "salad" was a BREAD BOWL of iceberg lettuce with ranch dressing and whole wheat crackers crushed in it. Dessert was two boxes of granola cereal with milk ("it's granola! It's like natural and good for you").

I have since grown up. I realize now that my weight gain isn't happening to me, it is happening because of me.

My inner monologue sounds more like this now:

"Ugh this is so unfair. I just want to be really skinny and I don't want to have to do anything to achieve it."

2 comments:

  1. I think you are definitely making progress then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best part is that you actually think you were fat in jr high. You were then (as you are now and have ALWAYS BEEN) the girl that every guy wanted to marry & every girl wanted to be... (even the gay guys wanted to marry you... seriously, it wasn't unnatural) But it totally brings home the idea that the human condition(victories/toils/struggles) are the same ALL over. The details change, but we are all caught up in the same web of self-doubt.
    (& I believe I'm the one who introduced you to the mayonnaise sandwich... Kathy George got me into those in kindergarten)... but 1/2 a piece a cheese? That broke my heart.

    ReplyDelete