Saturday, January 16, 2010

Everything and Nothing

I have always had a penchant for masculine looking shoes which is why I am pleased to see them making a strong showing lately. I'm so glad that I still have my manish fluevog loafers from 10 years ago. Hoarding can actually come in handy sometimes.

Rose and I were at H&M last night and low and behold they have a Jimmy Choo man's inspired lace up with some Elton John like, blingy flair. For anyone who hasn't heard (or couldn't put it together from what I just said), Jimmy Choo is at H&M. The price tag is high for H&M but extremely inexpensive for a Jimmy Choo meeting nicely in the middle much like the shoe itself which meets somewhere between masculine and feminine.

This brings me to one of my favorite words:
Androgyny
I love it because it simultaneously means "neither" and "both."
Seriously, look it up.

"A state of having both masculine and feminine traits; A state of appearing to be neither masculine nor feminine"

"showing characteristics of both sexes "
"Pertaining to a characteristic that is not definitively male or female; A condition in which gender is unknown, ambivalent, indeterminate, or neuter; Possessing qualities of both sexes"

It is also a song by Garbage. That I did not know.

Androgyny has made a splash on the runway, in music, theatre, in feminism, the lesbian community, the gay community, it has symbolized freedom, empowerment, rebellion, sexuality, sexual orientation, identity.

It's like the greatest word ever.

What I'm trying to say is, it would be cool to own a pair of Jimmy Choo's.
That and I love k.d. lang.

1 comment:

  1. "Androgynous" is also a Replacements song... I think you'd like it (because I LOVE it - but then, I LOVE Paul Westerberg)
    but speaking of words that have opposite meanings, look up Ravel & Unravel... they both mean coming together/falling apart & making clear/remaining a mystery... these 2 words freak me out!

    ReplyDelete