Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I'm sorry, what?

It is pouring rain here and rain makes me think.
So, I was in the car and it occurred to me I really don't understand the deal with churches that have the giant red awareness ribbon on them. What are they trying to say? That they are focused on AIDS awareness? That they are crusaders in the fight against AIDS? "People with AIDS welcome here?"

Why would they spend all that money on a giant metal sculpture? Wouldn't that money be better spent on research or the massively expensive cost of the medication for their afflicted parishioners whom they may or may not have enticed into their church with their humongous red ribbon?

I really don't get it. But then again I don't really get church either.
And there are a lot of these red ribbon churches. I saw three on my short ride home.

1 comment:

  1. I think your "red ribbon" epidemic is actually limited to the crazies in LA... nothing of the sort here in Chicago (but then again, I sometimes get "church-blindness")
    And what about all the other "ribbon issues?" If it's a church, isn't the assumption that they are one giant bleeding heart that cares for ALL issues... ergo, the need for a sign is negated by the usage of the cross?
    and while I'm not on the subject, why isn't there an "ergo" symbol on a keyboard? ...you know, the 3 dot triangle? THAT would be a great metal church sculpture!

    ReplyDelete