Sunday, January 24, 2010

What to wear

What does a girl wear to her first day at the firing range?

It's a really tough call. Do you go for irony and wear something really girlie like a dress? Is there any kind of dress code? I don't think so. I think irony (or maybe paradox) is better served if you are already proficient with a gun. OK, something with more of an edge then. However, not too much of an edge because the unmet expectation would just be embarrassing. Comfort should probably be a priority...I feel it is important to avoid that Cagney & Lacey/NYPD blue, detective, blazer thing. That feels wrong somehow.

Other factors, it's raining and cold.

Additionally, I can't forget to take into consideration my accessories are eye protection, ear protection and a gun.

Hmmmmmm

A zillion discarded shooting outfits later I finally went with the pair of the wide leg jeans I recently got hemmed, a long (to mid thigh) black turtleneck, and combat inspired boots.

As for the shooting, I was surprised to discover:
Guns are heavier than I expected
I am jumpier around loud noises than I thought
It isn't as easy as the movies make it look
It would be uncomfortable to shoot a gun while wearing a police uniform
I have a new respect for anyone who carries a gun professionally
I'm not that good at it
I'm not totally horrible at it

I absolutely plan on doing it again.

4 comments:

  1. Why did you go to a shooting range?
    I must say, you actually look like a professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I just read your "Wonder If" post and now I understand the need for the shooting range. It's a little extreme, but it should definitely solve the problem. And who am I to judge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A tip: If they let you dry fire the gun, it's incredibly helpful. After one dry fire, I was an expert shot every time at the range.

    Also, don't let anyone screw you up with the dominant eye deal. I'm right handed, left eye dominant, and it didn't cause any problems shooting with my strong or weak hand.

    Relax. Squeeze softly. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Les and I went to a shooting range downtown a few weeks ago. She got hooked on it when my Step-Dad set up a shooting range for us back home.

    ReplyDelete