Monday, June 15, 2009

Krista's summer vacation pt. 2



With the internet still out I had some extra time to stare at the wall and pick a blue.

I saw "velvet morning" on the Apartment Therapy blog. They really have an inspiring site. However the picture on my computer screen didn't really match the paint chip in the store. It is still a beautiful color but I had the computer screen blue stuck in my head so I tried to find a blue to match it.

The winner: Embellished Blue from Behr.

I picked embellished blue because it seemed happy and fun. However, the lady at the Home Depot was neither. She was really abrupt and snotty. I had some questions that I wanted to ask but she didn't really seem open to the idea. I really wanted to say "you know paint lady, I'm about to go home and fuck up my walls so I would appreciate a little support here."

But I didn't. She really didn't seem to want to use her powers for good that day.

Tommy convinced me that I needed to roll the paint instead of my original idea of using a tiny brush to do the whole thing. Here is a free tip from Tommy (fireman/parametic and professional painter on the side): Don't buy a cheap roller. You can go cheap on the handle and the pan, but buy at least a 50/50 blend on the roller. I can't remember the exact materials that make up that split but I do remember that one of those 50% needs to be lamb's wool.

Raul in the Home Depot parking lot asked if I needed help painting. I declined because I'm really trying to be a do it yourselfer. However, after the paint lady, I really appreciated the back up so I took his number. He said he is a handyman and let's face it, there are some things that I can't do myself. Usually I just live with whatever it is I can't do, but now that I have Raul that may change.

Newshead is pretty handy but he can be quite the naysayer when it comes to hanging things on the walls. He says our walls can't handle it. I've believed him for years but I'm starting to get suspicious. Everyone I know hangs their shit on the walls. Why are our walls so delicate? He kind of hints at this vague idea that we are going to create giant, unfixable holes in the walls. So, I'm just going to mention that I'll call Raul and see what happens. Already my new friend Raul is proving himself to be quite the handyman.

Step one of recreating my creative workspace done in one internetless day. Results below. (No camerabag filter applied here fyi).

1 comment:

  1. Very nice- the outside trim on my house needs to be painted- can I hire you or should I call Raul?

    ReplyDelete