Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I'm telling you that you can because you can, I know you can and deep down you know it too.

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard a variation on the following:

"I love your eye makeup. You always wear the best stuff. I could never make that happen"

"Why?"

"Well the effort for one and I just don't wear eyeshadow and I don't know how to put it on and I don't know what colors to get and I just don't think I can pull it off..."

It is my life's mission to demystify eye makeup. Sure it can be complicated and time consuming if you are trying something really involved but for the most part applying eye make up takes under 3 minutes. And anyone who has 3 minutes can "pull it off." It takes more time for me to put concealer under my eyes and try to even out my skin tone than it takes to put on eye makeup. And not lame eye make up either. Really nice looking shit.

I can wax poetic about different eye shadows and liners and mascara. I have things I love and things that don't work for me. Getting the correct tools is important and finding colors you love to wear is beyond fun. Once you have the stuff you need it is just a matter of waking up 3 minutes earlier. The vibe of your whole day can improve with a little excitement on the lid.

I think I am going to start a recurring "What I'm in love with now" feature because I not only love products, I LOVE to share my findings with anyone who will listen. I also love to hear other people's favorite items as well. I can understand Oprah's desire to give perfect strangers her "favorite things." If I was Oprah I would totally do that too. Or if I had Oprah's money I would give all my blog followers raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens and brown paper packages tied up with string. Inside that brown paper package tied up with string would be:

A gorgeous neutral colored eyeshadow. Benefit's creme eye shadow in "Birthday Suit" is my current favorite.
Urban Decay eyeliners. It would be the gift set of bright colors.
Dior Show mascara.

That is literally all you need to make a great eye.

Smear the creme shadow from your lash to just above the crease. Let it dry for a couple of beats. Then take the urban decay eyeliner in electric blue or the teal one and draw a line from the outer corner of your lash line to 3/4 of the way in (toward your nose). Make the line thicker on the outer end and taper it as you drag it in. Put a thick coat of Dior Show mascara on (start at the base of your lashes and wiggle the wand upward and out). That's it. You are good to go. Not hard AT ALL.

I'm going to make a "How to" video and post it on ehow. Seriously. I am. There is absolutely no reason anyone should think eye makeup is beyond their reach. It's ridiculous and I will not hear of it.

2 comments:

  1. is this about me? it's about me isn't it. i bought some blue eyeliner and gave it a whirl...it hurt to put on. hurt. but i did put on some super cute shadow for an audition this week.

    ReplyDelete