Saturday, September 5, 2009

What are you going as?

So I went to an event the other night where I knew I wasn't going to know anyone except the person who brought me. I always get nervous about making the small talk with a bunch of strangers. I decided this time when people asked me "what do you do?" I was going to say:

"I'm a rock star."

My plan was to play it like I could be speaking in the figurative or the literal sense. That would be the most fun. I figured they would either laugh at me or assume they just didn't recognize me and let it go and then we would talk about the fires in California for a little while.

I was really satisfied with myself. If anyone was really curious I would just ramble on until I said "I'm not an actual rock star" and then we would have wasted lots of small talk time getting to that point. I was actually looking forward to going so I could play this out.

Do actual rock stars say they are rock stars? Or do they say "I'm a musician" or "I'm in a band."
I cared not. I was going to be a rock star.

Well wouldn't you know it. Not ONE person asked me what I did.

WTF?

No comments:

Post a Comment