Monday, October 5, 2009

I double dare you.

Everyone has their own quirks and a private list of things they won't allow themselves to wear because of a specific area they are microscopically obsessed with. I'm not saying it is right (or rational) I'm saying it exists. It can't just be me.

As my areas of scrutiny begin to shift with my age I am determined to let one weird obsession go for every one I take on. I mean seriously, I can't just add nonsense. That would be crazy. So I'm bartering. If I'm going to analyze the crepe-like skin on my arm, I have to give up obsessing about the plucked chicken look of the skin on my legs. I do have to dare myself to wear different things, like a dress with bare legs. Now I do wear boots with it so my leg isn't entirely bare but still, I was showing an entirely different part of my leg. No portion of my thighs have seen the sun since the early 80's so imagine their shock when I wore cut off jean shorts (SHORTS!) with boots. And imagine how pale.

Scary.

And yet, it was oddly liberating.

No comments:

Post a Comment