Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bed Head: Navigating illusion and reality

Bed Head has both negative and positive connotations. I have spent many hours creating the illusion of messy "just woke up" hair. The whole genre has been elevated to an art form. There are tons of products to help me in this undertaking, not the least of which is my new new found love, hair powder. Hair powder has the dual purpose of creating texture while also absorbing oil and getting rid of any of the negative aspects of actual bed head.

There are several reasons not to wash your hair every single day:
  • protecting your color
  • time constraints
  • it looks better
  • laziness
I'm working on a combo platter of at least two of these at all times.

Here's the thing, the trick to never letting anyone know the reality of your bed head is looking at the back of your skull. You MUST, must must take a mirror and look. When you sleep on your hair (and I think most of us do), you inevitably rub a flattened, matted, baldish looking spot into the back of your hair. If you fail to fix it, the entire illusion is shattered and everyone will look at you with a little crinkle of their nose. I think it is because getting out of bed and not smelling fresh are inevitably linked. I've seen it over and over and I've done it myself. It doesn't matter if you've showered. We are talking about the illusion here. And our job is to be in control of the illusion at all times. You are what you present. So we need to make sure we know what we are presenting.

I just saw a bed head illusion offender the other day and it occurred to me that perhaps people don't think to look at the back of their head so maybe they don't know it exists. Lord knows I often don't look at my ass in an attempt to pretend it isn't there. If I can't see it, it won't bother me. However, denial isn't always the best way to go lest you suddenly realize there is a giant hole in the butt of your pants or you have tell tale "authentic" bed head. Therefore, I thought it was time to address it. Officially. In this official blog.

Done.

2 comments:

  1. I just love that you're driving around taking random pictures, presumably with your phone, from your car of random people and places. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a HUGE hair powder fan. For the record, you can use baby powder (I learned this from Jessica Simpson—thanks Jessica). I use the cucumber scented stuff so I don't smell like I have a thing for drug store perfume.

    ReplyDelete