Wednesday, August 26, 2009

And once again moderation and I barely recognize each other

I know artificial sweeteners aren't good for me. In the last year I've tried to quit the fake stuff because I'm convinced I'm growing a third arm (and what shirt is going to look good with that?). I still chain chew sugarless gum so that isn't exactly quitting but if you knew how many splendas/equals/sweet 'n low's/aspertames/xylitols I was downing in an attempt to not eat other things you would be a little more impressed with how much I've changed.

Tonight I was reminded why my stomach used to hurt more often than not. Sugar free candy culprit. I don't think artificial sweeteners are deadly per se, I think the amount I consume brings my mortality to the forefront. You see, if one is going to eat sugar free hard candy that is the flavor of cookies 'n cream, one should really keep it to one or two. In theory you are supposed to use the sugar free candy to get you through a craving not treat it like popcorn and eat the whole bag while watching an episode of Being Human (my new favorite vampire show).

I don't blame them. I blame myself. I don't do moderation. I have the intent of moderation but it all goes down hill once I break the seal. I just need to quit stuff.

Now, I've been "quitting" sugar for decades. That wagon dumps me off on regular occasions but what I think is important is that I am ALWAYS trying. I'm going for that "I just don't crave sweet stuff, I only eat omega threes and antioxidents" thing. I'll never give that up. I mean, half the fun is coming through a cycle of self loathing with a whole new resolve and healthy attitude.

Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment