Monday, August 31, 2009

Well I have to take this. And this. And this. And this. and, of course, this.

I went to a co-ed camp all through Jr. high and high school. I went because it was co-ed and I really liked the idea of being away from home with the possibility that I would have a fabulous summer romance. I just found a notebook from seventh grade where I have a "List 4 Camp" proving that I:

a) have always been a fan of lists
b) have NEVER been a light packer
c) have never really understood the concept of "camping"

On my list I have things like toothpaste, soap and the usual but then there is this other section that reads:

Gel
Blow Dryer
Mascara
Blush/Brush
Eyeliner - Black/Blue
lipgloss
Electric razor
Nail polish/remover
Contact stuff - heater/water/pills
Brush
Barrettes
lotion

Seriously?

My favorite part is the "Shoe" section of the list.

Shoes - boat shoes, vans, mocs, sandals, pink/grey gyms, slippers

That is 6 pairs of shoes and some slippers! How big was my suitcase? Camp was only a week.

I distinctly remember being there and feeling like I didn't bring the right clothes and wished I had more to choose from. I felt like I was roughing it.

As I have matured I have come to accept the fact that camping isn't my thing.

I'd love to be that girl but, alas, I am not. And I'm pretty ok with it. I'm not even trying to change it anymore. I believe I have more readily accepted the fact that I'm not a camper than the fact that I'm not tall. I'm actually still holding out for some longer legs.

Just a couple of weeks ago someone asked me if I had any camping equipment and I burst out laughing.

I should have given them the above list and told them that I have all of those things if they ever need them.

1 comment:

  1. one year they ran out of cabins AND cots and you and I had to share a cot in CHICKEN COOP.. if that isn't roughing it... WTF is?!? we camped, dammit.

    ReplyDelete